Summit Session Details
Session 1 – Opening Panel: Ask the Accounting Expert
David Bullock – State and Local Government Industry Line Leader, MGO
George Azih – CEO and Founder, LeaseQuery
Kenneth Pun – Founder and the Managing Partner, The Pun Group
Sarah O’Sullivan – Director of Product, LeaseQuery
Christian Fuellgraf – Principal, Government and Public Sector Industry Leader, Cherry Bekaert
Join a panel of accounting professionals from various roles as they provide insights into lease accounting transition challenges and how to facilitate implementation. Panelists will examine the impact of the new standard, GASB 87, for government entities and share preliminary thoughts on GASB 96, the new standard for subscription-based IT arrangements mirrored after GASB 87. Throughout this session, our panelists will answer questions submitted during registration on topics related to adoption challenges and how to maintain compliance. Additionally our experts will discuss the similarities and differences between GASB 87 and GASB 96, explaining how concurrent implementation might be beneficial to your organization.
- Discuss the lease accounting evolution caused by GASB 87 from differing perspectives
- Understand certain key concepts and definitions presented in both GASB 87 & GASB 96
- Identify best practices for a successful transition to GASB 87 and efficiencies to be gained from exploring GASB 87 and GASB 96 at the same time/together
Session 2 -GASB Statements 87 & 96: A Comprehensive Example and Comparison
Amanda Payne – Technical Accounting Manager, LeaseQuery
In this session, our accounting expert will present an overview of both GASB 87 and GASB 96, reviewing how to determine if you have a lease or subscription-based IT agreement and what types of agreements are in scope for either standard. Our presenters will discuss the similarities and differences of the accounting treatments presented in each standard.
LeaseQuery will then walk through a comprehensive example of applying the new government lease standard, and compare that to the application of GASB 96. The example will cover identifying key dates, calculating the lease asset and lease liability, and creating both the initial and subsequent journal entries.
- Review how GASB 87 and GASB 96 define leases and subscriptions, respectively, and understand the scoping considerations specific to each standard
- Compare and contrast the requirements of GASB 87 to GASB 96
- Calculate the initial assets and liabilities for GASB 87 and GASB 96 and prepare the appropriate initial and subsequent journal entries for each
Session 3 – How to Transition to GASB 87: An Auditor’s Perspective
Claire Esten, CPA – Partner, Grant Thorton
Lisa Harris, Financial Management – Manager, Grant Thorton
During this session, Grant Thornton will walk through the steps a government organization needs to consider when transitioning to GASB 87. They will review how to effectively implement the new standard and the benefits for using a software solution during the process. Presenters will also discuss what government organizations need to consider post-transition, such as how to prepare for the first audit and the next standards for adoption – GASB 96 & 94.
- Understand steps for transitioning to GASB 87 and what role software can play in a successful implementation
- Examine considerations for the first post-transition audit
- Summarize the key concepts from the new accounting standards GASB 96 and GASB 94
Check out our Free Tools
Equity Method Investment Identifier
Use this free tool to determine if your investments meet the criteria for the equity method of accounting under ASC 323.
Rate Implicit Calculator
Use the rate implicit calculator to determine the rate implicit in your lease.
Free Lease Accounting Software
Comply with confidence for up to nine leases under ASC 842 & IFRS 16.
Present Value Calculator
Use this free tool to calculate the present value of your minimum lease payments.
ASC 842 Lease Classification Test
Use this free tool to determine if your leases are classified as finance or operating leases under ASC 842.
Lease Accounting Software RFP
Use our RFP to start evaluating lease accounting software vendors today.
ASC 842 Lease Accounting Quiz
Are you prepared for the ASC 842 Deadline? Test your expertise with these questions.